Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What are people real morals?

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the above question. Are morals based oh how we act due to the controls placed on us or are they based on what we would do if the controls aren't there? The types of control I am talking about are those imposed by society and groups you belong to. If you knew there was no chance at all of being caught would you still not do something? I believe that most people have things they would do if it wasn't either illegal or against group norms. I have no facts about this and very much doubt that if you did a survey you would get truthful answers. Another area to see someones true morals is to watch them after they have 3 or 4 beers. If you let them get more then 3 or 4 beers you will find the morals of those around them drinking less. Usually after 4 beers it is much easier to get people to do things they go against but that is more due to the fact that they are no longer thinking though things. I always wonder what I would do if I knew I wouldn't get caught, I like to think I would take the high road but know emotions can easily cause actions that go against what is best. Lets look at how morals have changed in the past many years. When the attacks of 9/11 happened, shortly after the republicans and religious right try to make it morally wrong to question the actions of the President. If you look at those groups now they say it is best morally to question the actions of the President. They have to some extent even called for revolution against the current leadership but I doubt they mean an armed revolution. There are probably a small number of groups that want armed revolution and they always seem to come out when there is leadership that believes talking works as good as violence works. I do believe there are times violence is the only way you will solve some select problems. The problem with most conservatives, the ones that see violence as the first answer, is they seldom think about how the violence they support is hurting more then helping. I see many that turn to violence as the answer have never actually looked at history to see where violence has seldom been the best answer. Yes I know this is just rabbling but my hopes are if someone else does read this they will get ideas for post of their own which will be better worded and I can comment on it to clearify my position there.

No comments:

Post a Comment